The opening of the Northern Line to Edgware in 1924, and subsequently the extension of the Bakerloo Line to Stanmore in 1932 set the seal on the future of Edgware as an area of population growth. In the 1920s and early ‘30s there was a steady increase in both the general population and the Jewish inhabitants of Edgware and Stanmore, and by 1930 several hundred Jewish families were living in the area. On November 1st 1934 thirteen dissatisfied members of the recently established Edgware United Synagogue decided to form a club which would in itself be a stepping stone to a new congregation.

> Read More...

HRS was founded in 1949 by a group of hardworking and dedicated families wishing to create a Reform Community in Hendon.

In the beginning, meetings were held in the homes of the founder members until the first synagogue, now the Kingsley Fisher Hall [named after founders Sidney Kingsley and Ben Fisher] was built several years later.  Services were held in the Methodist Meeting Hall in the Burroughs and as the congregation grew, in other local halls whilst they dreamt of having their own building. In 1950 a disused tennis club became available and was purchased for the sum of £2,600 with funds raised from donations and social events, and at last this small congregation had a plot on which to place  a building.  Work was completed in 1955 and a consecration service for the new synagogue building was held on 6 March by the late Rabbi Dr Arthur Katz who had been Minister from the "dream's" beginning.

> Read More...